Thursday, December 6, 2007

My first post, on my first blog, for my first overseas experience

This is it - the beginning of the chronicles of a world-changer fueled by love. Big statement I know, but I really feel like all the experiences of my entire life have been preparing me for this endeavor.

Many of you who know me are familiar with the title of my blog, but if not, an explanation will help you understand how I feel a little more. Hoka hey is a pearl of wisdom orginating from North Carolina Mountains Native Americans. It means, simply; Today is a a good day to die. Every day I serve in Tonga feels this way to me.

This week marks the end of Pre-Service Training (PST). I've been in Tonga for 8+ weeks now and loving it! On December 12th, I'll officially swear in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Then on the 16th I'll move into my new home for the next two years: 'Otea. I'm super excited!

Here's what I know so far (I've only been there once, for all of 30 minutes):

'Otea is a little village of 200 people on a little island (name?) on the island group of Vava'u (Tonga has 5 island groups). There are two other much smaller villages on the island. There is also a little tourist resort right next to 'Otea.

'Otea is situated right on the water, on a beautiful sandy beach. It has two churches, Mormon and Wesleyan, and a little Government Primary School, which will be primary place of occupation. Very telling of the community, the school has 21 students in grades 1-6 and employs two teachers, one of whom acts as the prinicipal, typcial of Tongan schools. Tiny! In some ways, every American teacher's dream. Talk about low student to teacher ratio!

I've gotten to see my house, which is beautiful, on a hill with an ocean view (awesome!). Much bigger than I expected with 3 rooms, albeit empty. Don't know what I'll do with them all! I've got a nice big yard, already fenced in. Definitely going to start a garden, since the fence looks strong enough to keep the pigs out of it. I have a pit toilet and a bathing hut in my compound, as well as a sistern that collects rainwater from the roof. So really, I have everything I need! I can't wait to move in. The plan for this weekend is all about shopping. Need to furnish that thing! Too bad the stores are only open from 8-12 on Saturday and not at all on Sunday.

Really I am so lucky though. I'm totally stoked about having the outer island experience. Small community so I'll hopefully be able to integrate into easily that will offer infinite opportunities for cultural exchange and to practice the language. 'Otea doesn't have electricity or running water, so that'll all be part of the experience! Lucky for me PC issues us lanterns.

Whenever I tell Tongans where I'm working, they always grin and say "kaukautahi" (swim) "kai ika" (eat fish) "aho kotoa pe" (everyday). Sounds like I'll like the lifestyle on 'Otea alright!

Thanks everyone for all the support you've given me so far in mail and e-mail. It really makes such a difference. I really can feel the love all the way over here!

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS ON THE RIGHT --->

3 comments:

michelle said...

Yay, a blog! I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

This is one sweet blog. Blog blog blog.

Unknown said...

this is an awesome blog- nice work